Minimally-Invasive Lumbar Microdecompression in Dallas
Dr. Shah, Dr. Patel, and Dr. Happ at Texas Spine Associates have been performing Minimally Invasive Lumbar Microdecompression since 2012. Our surgeons have utilized this technique to prevent patients from undergoing more invasive and traditional procedures
What Is Minimally-Invasive Lumbar Microdecompression?
Minimally-Invasive Lumbar Microdecompression (MILM) is a surgical procedure used to treat spinal stenosis and herniated discs. During the procedure bone spurs, thickened ligament tissue, and herniated disc material that are causing pressure on the spinal nerves are removed through < 1 inch incision utilizing minimally invasive retractors and microscopic visualization. MILM is an alternative to a traditional “open” laminectomy.
Benefits of Minimally-Invasive Lumbar Microdecompression
- Less damage to surrounding muscle and soft tissues
- Decreased blood loss
- Decreased pain and reduced need for pain medication
- Quicker recovery and faster return to regular activities
- Shorter hospital stays
- Many procedures can be performed as outpatient surgery
- Decreased risk of postoperative infection
What Should I Expect After Minimally Invasive Lumbar Microdecompression?
- Patients routinely experience a dramatic reduction in their leg pain. If the nerve has been irritated for a long time before surgery, then a more gradual reduction of the leg pain is to be expected. As the nerve heals, you may experience tingling or a warm feeling. Numbness in the leg/foot experienced before surgery is often the symptom which takes the longest to resolve.
- Back pain associated with the incision is largely improved within two to three weeks. Increased pain with prolonged sitting and driving is also expected.
Candidates for Minimally Invasive Lumbar Microdecompression
At Texas Spine Associates, Dr. Shah, Dr. Patel, and Dr. Happ will work with you diligently to determine your best treatment options. We will take the time to educate you and answer your questions. We believe in engaging our patients to empower them to make the best decision to suit their condition.
To see if you are a candidate for Minimally Invasive Lumbar Microdecompression or to learn your options for lumbar surgery, please contact Texas Spine Associates at (972) 987-0969 and schedule an in-office consultation.